Nikon D3100 digital-SLR camera official
Nikon unveils its latest entry level digital-SLR camera – the Nikon D3100, which is equipped with a new 14.2 megapixel CMOS image sensor, new EXPEED 2 image-processing engine and is capable to record 1080p HD videos.
The D3100 comes with 3-inch TFT LCD with brightness adjustment, offers ISO range of 100-3200 up to 12800, 11-point autofocus system and enhanced Guide mode, that displays instructions for the most basic camera operations for shooting, image playback and editing and the application of camera settings, in the camera monitor. The camera supports SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card, feature Live View, Fulltime servo AF (AF-F) mode, D-Movie function, continuous autofocus, and face detection which recognise up to 35 faces.
The D3100 will be available September for $699 and comes with the usual 18-55mm VR kit lens.
Other functions and features new to the D3100
- Equipped with a face detection function capable of detecting up to 35 human faces (D3000: up to 5 faces)
- Operation has been improved with the addition of an independent movie-record button and release-mode selector. In addition, the rubber grip provides a better fit.
- Equipped with a Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) bus that enables remote control playback of images and movies recorded with the camera when the camera is connected to a high-definition TV
- Equipped with a new exposure compensation algorithm for greater flexibility and performance with NEF (RAW) processing
- The new ViewNX 2 software is bundled with the D3100
Nikon D3100 digital-SLR camera primary specifications
|Type||Single-lens reflex digital camera|
|Lens mount||Nikon F mount (with AF contacts)|
|Effective pixels||14.2 million|
|Image sensor||23.1 x 15.4 mm CMOS sensor|
|Image size (pixels)||4,608 x 3,072 [L] 3,456 x 2,304 [M] 2,304 x 1,536 [S]|
|File format||1) NEF(RAW), 2)JPEG, 3)NEF(RAW)+JPEG|
|Media||SD (Secure Digital) memory cards *1, SDHC- and SDXC-compliant|
|Frame advance rate||Up to 3 fps *2|
|ISO sensitivity||ISO 100 to 3200 in steps of 1 EV; Can also be set to approx. 1 EV above ISO 3200 (ISO 6400 equivalent) or to approx. 2 EV above ISO 3200 (ISO 12800 equivalent); auto ISO sensitivity control available|
|Movie||Frame size (pixels) and frame rate: 1,920 x 1,080; 24 p – 1,280 x 720; 30 p – 1,280 x 720; 25 p – 1,280 x 720; 24 p – 640 x 424; 24 p
Maximum Recording Time:10 min.
File format/Video compression: MOV, H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced Video Cording
Audio recording device; Supported:monaural recording with built-in microphone.
|LCD monitor||3-in., approx. 230 k-dot TFT LCD with brightness adjustment|
|Power source||Battery; One rechargeable Li-ion EN-EL14 battery
AC adapter(optional);EH-5a AC adapter; requires EP-5 power connector
(W x H x D)
|124 X 96 X 74.5mm|
|Weight (approx.)||455g without battery, memory card, or body cap,
505g;with battery and memory card but without body cap
|Major supplied accessories||EN-EL14 rechargeable Li-ion battery, MH-24 battery charger, AN-DC3 camera strap, ViewNX 2 CD-ROM, Ferrite Core (2 types)|