Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 gets Android 2.3 Gingerbread update
Sony Ericsson latest decision was that they’ll not release any further updates for Xperia family beyond Eclair, but now company announced the plansto bring an upgrade to Android Gingerbread for the Xperia X10 at the end Q2 / early Q3 this year.
Unfortunately SE also announced that they have no plans to release upgrades for the Xperia X10 mini, mini pro and Xperia X8 to 2.3, and they will remain on Eclair. The update will bring majority of functionality of the Gingerbread platform, plus similar software and functionality as in their new 2011 Xperia smartphones., but of course there will be some differences.
- The current plan is that the XperiaTM X10 will get the Android standard Camera user interface and therefore features like e.g. face recognition, smile shutter etc will be lost.
- Moxier is replaced by the gingerbread native EAS functionality.
- Mediascape is being replaced by the media experience widgets and music player included in our new 2011 products.
- DRM keys for protected content on your phone will be lost in the upgrade process.
- The Sony Ericsson Backup and Restore client is not supported in the Gingerbread version and will therefore be lost.
- Support for bi-directional languages will be reduced compared to the latest version of the 2.1 version of the Xperia X10.
This update will be the final for the X10 and there’ll not be any further upgrades in SE plans, however we have to congratulate the company for this new firmware update.
Source: Sony Ericsson Product Blog