Western Digital ships 2.5-inch Scorpio Blue 750 GB notebook hard drive
WD® today announced that it is now shipping 750 GB of storage capacity in a standard-height 2.5-inch notebook hard drive — the industry’s highest capacity to date in this form factor. Designed for mainstream notebook computers, the WD Scorpio® Blue™ 750 GB hard drives utilize WD’s leading 375 GB-per-platter areal density and Advanced Format technology.
An ideal solution for notebook computers and other portable devices whose users require extreme capacities in a small package, extended battery life and cool, reliable operation, the WD Scorpio Blue 750 GB hard drive is also one of the quietest 2.5-inch drives on the market.
“WD continues to lead the market with capacity points that enable consumers and business professionals to store large quantities of data and rich media content,” said Jim Morris, WD’s senior vice president and general manager of Storage Products. “Our leading power efficiency, achieved without compromise to performance, is another example of the added features and value that our customers have come to expect from WD.”
Features of the WD Scorpio Blue include:
- Advanced Format technology – Technology being pioneered by WD and adopted by other drive manufacturers to increase media format efficiencies, thus enabling larger drive capacities.
- WhisperDrive™ – WD’s exclusive WhisperDrive technology combines state-of-the-art seeking algorithms to yield one of the quietest 2.5-inch hard drives on the market. These algorithms also optimize the way a drive seeks for data, which significantly improves power consumption.
- ShockGuard™ – Leading-edge ShockGuard technology protects the drive mechanics and platter surfaces from shocks.
- SecurePark™ – WD’s SecurePark technology parks the recording heads off the disk surface during spin up, spin down, and when the drive is off. This ensures the recording head never touches the disk surface resulting in improved long term reliability due to less head wear, and improved non-operational shock tolerance.
- Fast and efficient – Ultra-fast 3 gigabits per second (Gb/s) SATA interface speed yields performance fit for demanding mobile applications.
- Tested for compatibility – WD performs extensive tests on hundreds of systems and a multitude of platforms in its FIT Lab™ and Mobile Compatibility Lab to give our customers confidence that our drives will work in their systems.
Price and Availability
WD Scorpio Blue 750 GB (model WD7500BPVT) hard drives are shipping now through select distributors and resellers. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the WD Scorpio Blue 750 is $149.00 USD. WD Scorpio Blue hard drives are covered by a three-year limited warranty.
|Rotational Speed||5,400 RPM (nominal)|
|Buffer Size||8 MB|
|Average Latency||5.50 ms (nominal)|
|Read Seek Time||12.0 ms|
|Track-To-Track Seek Time||2.0 ms (average)|
|Buffer To Host (Serial ATA)||3 Gb/s (Max)|
|Formatted Capacity||750,156 MB|
|Interface||SATA 3 Gb/s|
|User Sectors Per Drive||1,465,149,168|
|Idle Mode||22 dBA (average)|
|Seek Mode 0||25 dBA (average)|
|Operating||32° F to 140° F|
|Non-operating||-40° F to 149° F|
|Operating||-0° C to 60° C|
|Non-operating||-40° C to 65° C|
|Operating||8% to 95% Non-condensing|
|Non-operating||5-95% RH non-condensing|
|Operating||-1,000 feet to 10,000 feet|
|Non-operating||-1,000 feet to 40,000 feet|
|Operating||-305M to 3,050M|
|Non-operating||-305M to 12,200M|
|Operating||0.00459 g?/Hz (10 to 500 Hz)|
|Non-operating||0.05102 g?/Hz (10 to 500 Hz)|